The Truth Behind The Blog

I always hear parents say they are screwing up their kids. I laugh and think, well that is job security for all the therapits out there. I share my parenting views on here as well as my frustrations and aggrevations. My goal will to be to look at parenting in my own unique way and share my experiences.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Articles about children in psychology magazines

There has been recent reports that sexualization of your children at a young age can lead to them being sexually advanced and at times even targeted in sexual abuse issues.

The world has it so ingrained in the minds of all of us that we are not to blame for sexual abuse. There are things we can do to try to protect our children.

I guess it is hard now a days though. All they sell for little girls is short skirts and tight shirts. Bikinis are the norm for little girls. I dress my daughter to look like a little girl, she is three. I do not buy her thongs, (yes they sell them) and I do not load make up on her. Though we do play with make up once in a while. I do not try to grow her up at all.

I was watching toddlers in Tiaras, I HATE< HATE< that parents don't "get" it. They should have a mandatory psychologist on staff to work with the parents. I get it, the pageants and the show, but sexualizing your child at such a young age is not cool. Do I need to point out Joan Bennet Ramsey. Is it not clear why that was a horrible thing to happen and how many MORE of these girls are sexually assaulted. NOT TO MENTION that they tend to grow up with a strong ideal of how they SHOULD look and often deal with body image issues at a young age. You see these mothers putting on spray tans, fake teeth and over doing their make up just to "impress" people. I don't care how much you tell your child it's just for fun, in the end they think they need to be an "ideal" to please others.

Everybody has their own views on this. I know people who want to put their kids in pageants and I am totally against it if the parent can not remain grounded and let the kid go into the pageant as the child they are. Not over doing the make up, clothing and telling them to shake their ass. Lets get this straight, these kids are 3-12 years old. LET THEM BE KIDS.

I was watching a video once where a parent was encouraging the 5 year olds to grind dance. It is innocent because they don't get the sexual implications but others do. Which is what makes it sickening. Not to mention that when they get older, they understand it and remember being encouraged to act that way.

All cultures are different, but I say, let your kids play in dirt and be innocent as long as possible.

Celeste

No comments:

Post a Comment