The Truth Behind The Blog

I always hear parents say they are screwing up their kids. I laugh and think, well that is job security for all the therapits out there. I share my parenting views on here as well as my frustrations and aggrevations. My goal will to be to look at parenting in my own unique way and share my experiences.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

AS your children get older

So my son is getting older and I have found my filters have gone down. I don't mean to cuss like a sailor around him but my, "do not swear in front of your children" rule has seemed to fail me the last few years. My son has thus taken to cussing. Now to me a kid saying, "oh shit," or "crap" is not a terrible crime against any level of morality. However, it is NOT to be said in front of other adults such as Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, other kids homes, in front of other kids parents. You know, if you say oh shit in my house I am not going to blink unless you over use it.

Well, recently I heard my son use the "f" word. I have since decided being a "progressive" parent isn't working. My daughter has taken to saying a term I cringe at, "oh Jesus Christ." I cringe when I hear it and I DO NOT say that, my husband doesn't say it and it appears my son picked it up somewhere and has been repeating it. I have since corrected him and her about saying that. "Oh cheese and crackers," or "oh geesh," please do not talk about Jesus Christ in any negative connotation. Now that is not to say because I believe we will be sent to the hell for this act but just because A. It does not feel right to me and B. It is disrespectful to other people and other people's religious views.

I have some MAIN goals with my children...
1. Respect, respect for all people and their opinions, views and beliefs.
2. Kindness, kindness to all people no matter their situation, believes, opinions, or views.
3. Moral consideration
4. Ethical decision making
5. Religious respect
6. Belief in the beauty that exists in the world and to learn to work through the negativity.

Life is short and I believe that some things in this world are made a big deal out of, like the list of swear words. There are those that I do not tolerate though. The "F" word is not allowed, and the above mentioned. I will deal with others as they come. I also do not allow racist comments, though I am probably not always PC with things I say, my non PC moments are more out of lack of knowledge verbiage changed rather than just being racist. Also there is another thing I do not tolerate people being judged based on what they look like.
My son is a good kid, he really is, he makes friends with the under dogs, he is loving, and still hugs me. He has his anger issues with his friends as they like to push his buttons and I worry that in the future this will result in either him being bullied or getting into a fight and knocking some kid out someday. However, life is short and I want him to be a respectful individual. Cuss in my house when you are alone fine, if the adults are around or your little sister, oh heck no.
Do not be disrespectful to Jesus Christ, he was a great teacher with a lot of gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment